Wednesday 12 October 2016

Officer saves baby from choking and takes on the role of a lifetime

Officer Kenneth Knox didn't know it at the time, but a child he saved from dying would soon become his goddaughter.
Late last month, Knox responded to an emergency call of a two-month-old girl choking on baby food. With seconds to spare, he arrived at the scene to find Ma'Yavi Parham on the brink of death. He laid her down and immediately performed what he calls "reverse" CPR.
    "I've been trained in CPR but I thought that would push the cereal further down so I just sucked it out," Knox told CNN affiliate WDIV. "It took me a couple of tries."
    The girl's father pleaded for the officer to save her, wailing "My baby!" His cries for help, Knox described, "hit me hard."
    Within moments, Ma'Yavi began breathing normally again.
    "She smiled at me for a second and then started crying which was music to my ears," Knox wrote in a Facebook post. "Out of my 25 years being a cop this is my greatest and most profound accomplishment and it made every second of those 25 years worth it all."
    I would like to take the time to introduce everyone to miss Parham. she is a 2 month old beautiful baby girl. last night I was dispatched to a residence to a child choking, it was this beautiful little princess. she was turning blue and fading fast.. mom and dad tried cpr with no luck and when I arrived she was not breathing. the LORD GOD ALMIGHTY touched me and I knew what to do. I did reverse cpr and was able to suck the cereal out of her throat and she began breathing again. she smiled at me for a second and then starting crying which was music to my ears. out of my 25 years being a cop this is my greatest and most profound accomplishment and it made every second of those 25 years worth it all. I am forever humbled and changed by this. little miss Parham will forever be a part of my life...
    One week after the encounter, the child's parents requested that Knox be her godfather -- an offer he quickly accepted.
    The new role in the girl's life is his "honor, privilege and pleasure," he wrote in another post.
    Since then, he's posted several photos of his "angel," whom he calls "Princess Ma'Yavi."
    "Nothing can compare to what Officer Knox did for her," Ma'Yavi's mother, Meona Parham, told CNN. "I can't see another person being her godfather. He literally saved her life."
    The child's mother keeps Knox posted with updates of his new goddaughter.
    "I am forever humbled and changed by this," he posted on Facebook. "Little Miss Parham will forever be a part of my life."


    CNN cullage

    No comments:

    Post a Comment